How do I update Exodus?
Updating your Exodus wallet is an essential part of keeping your crypto assets like Bitcoin, Ethereum & others safe. If you are worried about losing funds during the update, make sure you have written down your 12-word secret recovery phrase.
Still in need of a self-custody crypto wallet? Download Exodus here.
In this article:
- How do I update Exodus?
- Web3 Wallet
- Why should I update Exodus?
How do I update Exodus?
If you have already downloaded and installed Exodus Web3 Wallet, your browser will automatically update all browser extensions. Chrome-based browsers update extensions on their own schedule. If your browser has yet to automatically update Web3 Wallet, then you can manually update the Web3 Wallet by following the guide below.
Here's how to manually update your Exodus Web3 Wallet.
- First, a) click on the Extensions icon, then b) click Manage Extensions.
- Next, toggle on Developer Mode.
- Then click on Update.
- And that's it! You've successfully updated all your Chrome-based browser extensions, including Exodus Web3 Wallet.
How do I enable auto-updates?
If you turn on auto-updates, your Exodus wallet will stay up-to-date automatically!
- a) Click the Settings icon, then b) click Personalize.
- Toggle on the auto-update feature to automatically install updates on the next startup.
Once you've enabled auto-updates, updating Exodus Desktop takes a few clicks.
Anytime you open Exodus, your wallet will check and notify you if an update is available. Click Update Now! when prompted, and Exodus will take care of the rest.
The latest version of Exodus will now download. Please wait for it to finish.
Once the download is finished, click Restart Now. Exodus will restart and prompt you for your password.
Auto-updates are not available for Linux. Linux users will need to update Exodus manually. For instructions, jump to: Tutorial video: Linux manual update process.
Manual update process
If you are running an older version of Exodus, you will not see the update prompt. If you do not see the prompt, you can follow these steps to update your Exodus wallet:
- Quit Exodus if it is running.
- Download the latest Exodus release.
- Complete one of the following installation processes for your operating system:
Tutorial video: How do I manually update Exodus on Windows?
Double-click on the downloaded package to run the installer on Windows.
Tutorial video: How do I manually update Exodus on Mac?
Double-click the disk image, then drag Exodus onto the applications folder, overwriting the old version on Mac.
Tutorial video: How do I manually update Exodus on Linux?
Download and unzip the new version and replace the existing installation with the new one. For Debian-based distributions, you can update your Exodus by installing with .deb package like you did for the first time following this written guide to help.
Another way to update your Exodus wallet on a Debian-based distribution is through the command line. This must be done as an administrator (i.e. sudo). In this case, you will need to locate where you downloaded the new version using the command line, then use the following command (where the XX's are replaced with the version of Exodus you downloaded):
sudo dpkg -i exodus-linux-x64-XX.XX.XX.deb
Installing a new version of Exodus and overwriting an old version of Exodus is safe. Exodus keeps your wallet data in a separate location.
Exodus Mobile on both iOS and Android updates automatically. However, there might be a period of time between when a new version of Exodus is released, and when the mobile app automatically updates.
To manually update Exodus Mobile, follow these instructions depending on your device:
Why should I update Exodus?
After you've downloaded Exodus, keep your wallet updated for all the latest and greatest:
- New and exciting features
- Security patches to better protect you from the latest vulnerabilities
- Additional security features
- New third-party API exchange providers, exchangeable assets, and fiat-to-crypto options
- Bug fixes and feature improvements
- New assets - we are always adding your top asset requests!